Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Video and news

Here's a link to a video that ESF's PR department put together from footage that we took of the field season last summer.

I'll be defending my MS thesis on the Pinta work in just a few short weeks. I've tremendously enjoyed the writing process (unlike any other time I've had to write something!). It's been so gratifying to see all of our hard work come together into these documents, these stories.

Amazingly, I get to go to the Galapagos again this summer. The Galapagos Conservancy and the Galapagos National Park have been planning for a few years a "tortoise summit" in which to gather together scientists and managers who have knowledge or interests in the conservation of giant tortoises in the Galapagos to decide how to approach giant tortoise conservation in the next 10 years. I am very honored to be invited and excited to share what I have learned about how tortoises can be used as ecosystem restoration tools. I'm excited to go back, too, of course. Though it's not Pinta, the bustling harbor town of Puerto Ayora still has its little corner with giant tortoises, and I yearn to see them again.

1 comment:

  1. Well done video; I am looking forward to seeing the results of your research.

    Dave SUNY-ESF '01G

    ReplyDelete